In this webinar (held on 21st September 2022), Eastside Primetimers, social investor CAF Venturesome, Barrow Cadbury Trust and SWIM Enterprises (Support When it Matters) gave an overview of social investment for social sector organisations. The recording and slides will be useful to anyone in the social sector who wants to understand more about this area and/or thinks it could be an option for their organisation.
The funding landscape in the not-for-profit sector is ever changing and sector leaders are having to become even more innovative and flexible in finding ways to fund on-going provision of their services to those most in need. The rapidly growing field of social investment is one of the ways in which sector leaders can help to finance the work that their organisations do.
- Introduced the concept of social investment
- Explained who is involved
- Highlighted the benefits of this approach
- Outlined what is involved in making an application for social investment
- Described how investors decide who to fund
- Illustrated how organisations including Eastside Primetimers together with CAF Venturesome can help charities and social enterprises who are getting ready to apply for social investment with expert support and funding (via the Access Reach Fund).
The panellists were:
- Jo Wedderspoon and Anne-Helene Sinha, Senior Development Manager and Senior Investment Manager respectively at CAF Venturesome, one of the first social investment funds in the UK, having made over 700 social investments totalling £63m since 2002
- Jo Simpson, Senior Development Manager at Eastside Primetimers. Eastside Primetimers has been involved in supporting organisations seeking social investment and reviewing their income generation strategies for many years and has supported more than 25 organisations to get investment ready via Access Reach funding.
- Kumar Ghosh, Social Investment Manager at Barrow Cadbury Trust and a specialist Consultant for Eastside Primetimers
- Peter Merrfield, CEO of SWIM Enterprises, a community interest company that empowers people in Hackney and its neighbouring communities to improve their health, well-being and life chances.
Date / time
Date(s) - 28/09/2023