Ruth is a charity consultant specialising in enabling charities to build sustainable growth through the sales of products and services (or earned income). This includes strategic planning, programme design, developing business models, and supporting with governance. Having worked for over 20 years in the charity sector, Ruth aims to encourage ambitious targets, whilst being realistic.
Key skills & experience
Ruth has spent her career in the charity sector so far managing volunteers and programmes, and as a senior manager and trustee. Ruth has bid for, won and managed contracts and partnerships with corporate, trust and statutory funders.
She also has an MSc in Voluntary Sector Management which has given me her a theoretical background to charity management.
Ruth enjoys problem solving, making connections and facilitating energising and productive discussions – and she is always inspired and motivated by the dedicated community that is the charity sector.
- GMAX: developed business model for social investment and funding for local youth sports charity, part-funded by its partner social enterprise – a yoga studio. Including recommendations for governance structure, programme planning and target setting.
- Coram Family and Childcare: produced business plan for new parent-led nursery, and successful application for social investment loan from Trust for London, including strong emphasis on social impact and financial modelling.
- Penge Men in Sheds: working with volunteer-led fundraising committee to produce business plan to increase income generation and social impact.
- Spikey Lunch Club: support with creation of new social enterprise, including selection of appropriate governance structure, development of theory of change to develop clear social impact and objectives, and creation of financial model to build realistic income generation plan.
- NCVO Associate: supporting charities with governance-related issues, including creation of partnership agreements and Board development.
- NCT: interim Head of Governance and Planning (including Company Secretary) – supporting Board, managing compliance, overseeing reporting to Executive Team and Board.