Ruth is an experienced CEO, Consultant and Board Trustee. She has worked in the charity sector for 25 years in leadership roles, frontline services management, fundraising and consultancy in national, local and very diverse sizes of organizations. This experience enables her to quickly understand and work with individual charities on their structure, culture and aspirations and tackle the challenges they face.
Ruth is a qualified coach, focusing on leadership and performance and in addition mentors Charity Chief Executives through the ACEVO mentoring scheme.
Key skills & experience
Organisational strategy and change. Building relationships and trust to identify solutions and embed them. Focused on:
- Stabilisation and change to grow or downsize organisations
- Development of strong governance increasing Board impact
- Embedding a culture of trust and openness, often in challenging environments
- Creation of successful collaborative external partnerships
- Increasing organisational profile and funding levels
- Design and implementation of innovative frontline services.
Experienced Trustee. Understanding of and working with governance issues and how trustees and staff can view each other’s roles, support and interact successfully with each other.
- Chief Executive of Women’s Health Matters – stabilised the charity, improved sustainability by significant funding diversification, developed new multi-organisation partnerships and developed a culture of trust, openness to change and outward facing approach to support growth.
- Interim CEO at Yorkshire Mediation Services – restructured staff team and recruited permanent CEO. Ensured systems for operational, financial and people management in place to deliver services effectively.
- Investigator for workplace disciplinary and grievance issues in a mental health charity. Identification of recommendations and learning themes for the relevant staff.
- Leadership and Performance Coach with clients in diverse careers. Mentor for Charity Chief Executives focusing on a range of issues including strategy development, staff structure, senior team development, trustee engagement, income diversification, partnerships development, confidence and leadership styles.