Eastside Primetimers offers specialist executive search and recruitment services for charities and other not-for-profit organisations. With a substantial record of appointing to Board roles for a wide variety of social sector organisations, we have in depth charity sector expertise and a genuine understanding of the trustee recruitment issues you face.
Getting the best people for your Board
Recruiting trustees and Chairs is different from regular recruitment:
- Fewer people are interested in unpaid roles than for regular, paid work – this means the candidate pool is much smaller
- The reasons why candidates are motivated to take on Board roles are often harder to understand, which can cause uncertainty for less experienced recruiters – how do you place a value on the motivation to put something back or assess their experience?
- The number of recruitment specialists that are servicing that market are fewer than in the paid employment market
For all these reasons, many organisations struggle to apply the same rigour to Board recruitment, even though the appointment of the right chair Chair or a top-quality trustee can be mission critical for the organisation.
So what have we at Eastside Primetimers learned from 15 years of involvement with trustee and Chair appointments in the charity sector?
- The importance of having a simple process, applied consistently to all candidates
- The importance of being just as thorough and professional as you would be with paid recruitment campaigns
- To spread the net widely so that the process produces a diverse range of candidates
Why work with Eastside Primetimers?
- We are charity sector specialists
- We offer a professional executive search service, taking fresh desk approach to every assignment as each role is different
- We have a track record of success in finding Chairs, Treasurer and Trustees for the not for profit sector.
- We have been giving career advice to individuals who are interested in working with charities for over 15 years. In that time, we have met and advised over 1000 senior and experienced individuals, and have access to an extensive network of senior talent which we can leverage.
- We are creative and determined – which is the exact combination of skills that is needed
- We are sensibly priced
- We now work with Action for Trustee Racial Diversity, drawing on their database to reach the widest-possible range of talent
We believe that the key to effective trustee recruitment is to find ways of identifying networks and organisations that will be in contact with your type of candidate. In some cases we recommend advertising, but most of the time we can find the right candidates by approaching the right networks.
A typical Board recruitment campaign would include:
- Establishing the recruitment plan – we will want to agree our plan and timings with you and keep you informed each step of the way.
- Confirm the detailed brief including agreeing the job description, person profile – skills, background, experience etc. (searches can be targeted to look for particular skills, or to increase diversity on the Board), application process and so on.
- Advertising and use of additional networks and search/headhunting techniques – our search starts with our database and expands by reaching out to a wide range of networks and contacts.
- Transparent processes that meet inclusivity, equality and diversity guidelines – the process will be clear and transparent to all concerned so that we reach the best possible candidates in a way which is fair to all.
- Assessment and evaluation of candidates – we would be the first point of contact for all potential candidates, we will go through the applications and provide you with a shortlist of candidates to interview.
- Facilitating your interview process (optional at additional cost) – we are happy to take part in your interviews to provide support directly or to offer you support beforehand/afterwards to inform your interview format and decisions. We are experienced in carrying out competency-based interviews, focusing on the specific skills, behaviours and characteristics necessary for the role.
- Assisting with the offer negotiations – we believe we can help to land the candidates. We have found that having an intermediary who can assist with the negotiations on terms, take up professional references etc. can be extremely beneficial.
- After care – we will happily deal with those who have not been successful so that they reflect positively on your organisation.
Bernice Rook, our Director of Membership and Resourcing, heads up our Board Recruitment Service. Bernice specialises in the human side of organisations and has a wealth of recruitment experience. She advises on staffing and resourcing issues, board appointments and permanent and interim recruitment. She is also responsible for recruiting, nurturing and maintaining the quality of the Eastside Primetimers consultancy talent pool. She previously worked in recruitment for the Vedior Group as Branch Manager at Beresford Blake Thomas and then as regional Resourcing Manager for Randstad. Having gained a master’s degree in Occupational Psychology, Bernice has helped all kinds of businesses to identify gaps and weaknesses in their executive teams and used her extensive experience of leadership resourcing and recruitment to source and secure the right candidates for them.
How can we help you?
For more information or to discuss your resourcing needs or recruitment options, contact Bernice on 07973141178 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.